" Tatau " is the Samoan word that contributed to the word tattoo we use today in marking the skin with pigment. In Samoa as well as the vast Pasefika, the Tatau was more than a mark or social trend. The Tatau was an honored tradition interwoven into the cultures of the Pacific Islanders.
Although the Tatau or Tatau Samoa identifies the Samoan pe'a, the word Tatau is utilized throughout this site as it was used among the Samoans and Polynesians; to identify all tattoo artwork.
- Learn about the history of Tatau Samoa, the Samoan Pe'a and Malu.
- Check out the : Tatau Pasefika Shirtand the Tatau Samoa Shirt from Pasefika Designs
- Learn about the meaning of Tatau.
- Learn the Tatau Samoa Song.
- Have questions about a Tatau (Tattoo)? Read some Tatau FAQs and get some answers
- Who is Jon Apisa? Click here to read a bio.
- Apia, Samoa will host it's 3rd Tatau Convention in 2009 scheduled for 11/21/2009 - 11/27/2009 in honor of the 10th Anniversary for the passing of Tufuga Ta Tatau Paulo Suluape hosted by Tufuga Ta Tatau Petelo Suluape and the people of Samoa.
- Use the links on the left to view a few pictures of contemporary Tatau completed with machines by Jon Apisa.
Art Media Menu